May is Water Safety Month and a good time to make sure children are prepared to be safe around the water. We encourage parents to take an active role in your child’s safety. You can ensure everyone stays safe around the water with these tips:
- Never leave children unattended, and stay alert when around any body of water.
- Designate someone to supervise children around water. The dedicated person should not be reading, texting, talking or otherwise distracted.
- Inexperienced and non-swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket around water.
- Children should stay away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid getting caught.
- No one should engage in "activities" that involve holding your breath.
In addition to learning lifesaving water safety skills, you and your children can increase your physical activity by swimming. It also motivates children to strive for self-improvement, teaches goal orientation and cultivates a positive mental attitude and high self-esteem. Swimming teaches everyone how to work well with teammates and coaches, and how to cope with winning and losing!
The Y offers aquatic programs for people of all ages and abilities.
For more information about aquatics programs at the YMCA at Pabst Farms, please contact Member Services today!
This blog entry has no comments.