Youth Sports are a great opportunity to teach values like caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. The Y's youth sports programs help young people become better players and better people by emphasizing skill development over competition. Each program utilizes the Y’s seven principles:
- Everyone Plays: Everyone who registers is assigned to a team, and receives equal playing time in practices and games.
- Safety First: We've designed our sports programs to be safe and enjoyable.
- Fair Play: We play by the rules, show respect to everyone involved and teach our youth about being a role model of good sportsmanship.
- Positive Competition: Learning to compete is important for children, and learning to cooperate in a competitive world is an essential lesson in life.
- Family Involvement: In addition to parents being instrumental as volunteer coaches, officials and timekeepers, we encourage them to be at practices and games to support their child's participation.
- Sport for All: Our sports are inclusive. We offer sport programs for youth who differ in physical abilities by matching them with children of similar abilities and modifying their sport when necessary.
- Sport for Fun: These sports are for the kids. Our goal is for them to have FUN!